Listen to this blog
When testing mobile application, below are the important points to consider:
When there is a web development and Mobile App development with the same functionalities to be built, tools that support both the mobile application and Web App Development should be considered which will increase the re-usability in building the solution and the same should be applicable for testing as well.
Code integration with the usage of tools like Git / SVN along with quality control validation using tools like SonarQube will increase the chance of high maintainable code. This also helps in performing CI / CD / CT execution and helps in early defect detection.
Performance / Scalability:
When testing mobile apps, an important factor is performance and scalability. Current industry expectation is any user who browses content through mobile phone should have the same performance as it is with desktop/laptop, without any compromise on quality.
There are common issues encountered when using Mobile phones
- Application behaves differently on various platforms and handsets
- High memory and CPU consumption
- Mobile application too slow to load
- Application causing battery drain out
Because of the above issues, performance testing for mobile Application is inevitable
Below are the reasons why Offline mode is preferred by users and it needs extensive testing
- These apps constantly work without delays.
- They want to keep working without an internet connection.
- Apps with offline mode load quickly.
- Offline apps hardly drain a phone’s battery.
Many mobile users do not stick to a mobile app if there is no Offline support since when the network connection is poor, the app does not load and it leads to poor User experience.
- Mobile App to be tested with multiple mobile devices across multiple platforms over diverse networks
- Identifying spyware, viruses, Trojans, data privacy, data leakage, unsolicited network connections, etc.
- Validate whether it meets standards like Mobile Application Security Verification Standard
There are various messaging Applications like SMS, MMS, Cell Broadcast SMS, WAP-Push, etc and each messaging system has different parameters to be considered for testing. The architecture of each of the messaging systems is different and the design aspect is different. While testing the messaging system we need to consider all these different parameters and apply testing principles to test them.
- Most of the mobile app is integrated with Social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, etc
- Testing these social media touchpoints are mandatory and their interfaces to be tested thoroughly
- This integration when it is seamless there is a high probability of the user to stick on to this Mobile app and it is inevitable
- It also increases the chance of increased exposure and popularity increases
- Since data science and ML is the current trend and most of the users are sticking to their smartphone it has a high probability to access the user preference and it helps in data analytics and helps in revenue generation
Most of the mobile apps use services as their communication layer to help in faster data transmission and helps in achieving better User Experience. The testing service layer is essential and most of the time, performance testing for the service layer is also recommended. Jmeter is the most popular tool for Performance testing for API layer.
Browser / Web Testing
Like how web testing is done, similarly, web testing is carried out for Mobile devices as well. There are multiple ways to do Web testing, easy way without Mobile is to use mobile emulator options that come as a part of the browser extension.