Test Automation Best Practices & Standards
- 1. For a successful test automation, management support is essential.
- 2. Setup dedicated team instead of allocating a team for automation testing during spare time.
- 3. If your team is new for test automation, then go for a pilot project and get the confidence.
- 4. Prioritize which test cases to be automated.
- 5. Collaborate effectively with developers.
- 6. Smoke tests are a good place to begin with automation.
- 7. Don't automate unstable functionalities.
- 8. Make Your Test Automation Benefits Visible to Management.
- 9. Use BDD framework to create readable and understandable tests.
- 1. Use proper naming conventions for variables, class, methods, folders, tests, and utilities.
- 2. Implement setup and tear down scripts.
- 3. Reuse tests instead of duplicating it.
- 4. For Java8 user: Use Lambda expression to concise your code.
- 5. Write declarative BDD scenarios. Never write like "I click" & "I enter".
- 6. Tag your tests and features
- 7. Tests should be independent and shouldn't depend on order to run consistently.
- 8. Implement the Page Object Pattern