Codoid’s Elearning testing services ensure the quality of your interactive e-learning applications, learning & content management system. If a question is asked on what is the critical element of an e-learning software or LMS (Learning management system), then probably it is – the verification of learn-ability of the content.
Content certainly forms a major section that needs to be tested. However, there are several other parameters to be considered along with an excellent know-how of the domain.
With the world coming closer, thanks to the latest technologies using Cloud, classrooms have become virtual or online. There is a high demand for such eLearning content and websites to be ‘responsive’, thereby increasing learn-ability.
eLearning Testing Strategy
Text, Visuals, & Function
We focus on text, visuals, & functionalities separately instead of testing all the three in one go.
We must have a comprehensive eLearning testing checklist to verify Content, Design, Functionality, Assessment Resources, & compliance.
OS, Browser, and Devices
Test eLearning applications/courses on multi-platform, browsers, and mobile devices to ensure compatibility.
Automate regression test cases for a quick feedback and let your testing team concentrate on Adhoc & Exploratory Testing.
Test the LMS by sending simultaneous artificial traffic to stress the infrastructure and to find the performance bottlenecks.
Tracking Review Feedback
We provide the review feedbacks in Jira tickets with valid comments & screenshots and track the review cycles.
The key metrics or challenges that drive effective testing of eLearning are,
- Early defect detection and prevention
- Inclusion of Performance/Load testing
- Improving the learning content frequently and consistently
- Testing Content (what appears and how appealing it is) and Functionality (the logic on when content should be shown)
- Multi-device testing – whether the project needs to run on touch-screen devices, latest browsers like UC, various mobile operating systems like Android, Apple, and Windows. This requires testing on the actual device – which implies the increase in capital expense. Adoption of BYOD (bring your device) has also increased the variety of mobile devices that any eLearning must support
- Stress /Performance test is necessary to ensure the system does not break when learners are actively accessing various content
- Localization: If the course is offered in different languages and time-zones
- Highly responsive eLearning systems require content to change very often or layered for better user experience. Content must be available at the point-of-need and in context of usage
- Synching Video and Audio on multiple devices simultaneously
Expert in testing courses, LMS, & Engagement Analytics
Testing nowadays is looked beyond just performing quality checks. Organizations who plan to purchase LMS software seek assistance from QA /testers with good knowledge on the LMS /eLearning domain to help them evaluate and shortlist products to purchase.
The experts at Codoid will, collaborate with the development teams from the requirements phase and help you outline the checklist to test LMS. We always believe that ELearning Testing does not happen in a silo, but goes hand-in-hand with development.
Let us look at some areas where eLearning software are put to good use
- Universities, Colleges – Online courses
- Corporates – courses on their internal processes, mandatory training, etc.
- Training vendors – who now offer specialized online training on the cloud
- Organizations offering professional training /certification
- Businesses – such as Insurance, Automobile for on-the-job training
An UK based leading company predominantly into corporate video production, photographic surveys and engaging e-learning websites and training courses for their clients, working across a wide range of industries like construction, utilities, education and healthcare.
Our client produces learning content to fit their client’s training needs. Once developed, the courses will be uploaded to the LMS that can be accessed via the web and/or wide range of mobile devices. The testing should cover functionality, usability, accessibility, inter-activity like text is formatted properly, attending quizzes, validating pass/ fail or results, check for spelling and grammar.
We need to test how the courses are accessed on different platforms, devices and browsers. In addition we need to cover the AICC compliance along with the 508 compliance.
We have outlined various requirements based on the role of the user. This will provide more insight into what aspects are to be considered by the QA before /while testing an e-learning software.
- Easy navigation, Course calendar
- Free from grammatical and verbal errors
- Easy enrolment, payment
- Simple instructions and learnability
- Advanced search options
- Ability to Forward, Rewind and Pause a course (as need be)
- Ability to access a course from Mobile devices
- Secured learning
- Ability to grade via quiz, retrieve historical details
- Update course structure
- Easy to add new courses, videos, content
- Notifications on new registrations, Errors experienced by end users
- Scheduling virtual/online classroom for remote learning
- Ability to Randomize quiz questions
- Ability to integrate Grades with PeopleSoft or like
- Accurate scoring /grading for quizzes /exams (if any)
- Maintain and retrieve history of exams by a learner
- Re-grade, Test surveys, Discussion forums
- Security mechanism, Content copyright, Multi-language feature
- Any quick self-help /user-guide available to end users
- Generate value for the learner
- Users should have hassle-free experience
- Should be accessible from the slowest connections as well, so as not to hamper the learning cycle
- Easy to scale up with new courses, degrees, across geographies
- Easy and less expensive to maintain
- System to have high uptime and availability
- Generate Value for end users, Learners should come back to the system to register for additional courses