Mobile application development has become cumbersome so does Mobile app testing. Not because of development complexity. But, because of the intense market competition in delivering niche and user friendly apps in the market.
Let’s through some light on the market research data
On an average 88.7 apps are installed on the smartphones in the US. But, roughly 24.7 of them are used on a monthly basis. Which amounts to an average of 7.6 apps on a daily basis. Humongous difference in the usage of mobile apps is attributed to the following reasons: remaining mobile apps have either FAILED to impress and engage the users because of inadequate & improper mobile app testing strategy, improper research, poor UI/UX etc.
Let’s delve deeper in to this topic and jot down the major factors determining the success of your mobile app:
1. Unseemly Buyer ResearchBuyer research needs to be the most crucial and inevitable step in developing a mobile application, for all OS’s like android, iOS etc. One must do the following due diligence while doing research:
- • Do a thorough market research.
- • Understand your buyer who is most likely interested in your mobile app.
- • Do a demographic research of your mobile app users as well.
- • Arrive at a conclusion based on your research data and ascertain which gender is most likely to use your mobile app.
- • Further broaden your research by conducting surveys throughout the complete spectrum of your network.
- • Be a part of various forums , online communities where people talk about the latest mobile apps.
2. Competitor AnalysisCompetitor analysis is as important as using your market and audience research data effectively, your app would eventually crash if you develop it without possessing a thorough knowledge about your competitors.
Who your competitors are:
- • The top 50 mobile apps in different Stores
- • Mobile apps with similar functionality
- • Apps with similar ideas
- • Apps which fall under the same segment
Analyzing your competitors the following manner:
- • How well your competitors have fared well so for on the app idea?
- • Major functionalities covered
- • Check their app compatibility in all possible OS like Android, iOS etc.
- • Compare the app downloads data and reviews efficiently
- • App users review data
- • Ascertain their marketing strategy
After having done with your competitor analysis, you can work on developing a mobile application that can outsmart your competitor in all aspects with ease. Ignoring any of the above crucial steps, could put your mobile app at bigger risk of failing.
3. Bad Mobile app ideationMost developers have a conviction that their app ideas are path breaking and will work amazingly well. But in reality, not all app ideas succeed. A research says that 49% of developers develop apps based on their own requirements which usually turns out to be unsuccessful.
Ponder over the following pointers before bringing your app idea into reality:
- • Is your app idea niche and unique
- • Is your app idea a need of the hour?
- • Does is intent to solve any of the users’ needs?
- • Unique ness of your app idea from your competitors.
You should have a fool proof system prepared in place for your app idea else it is likely to fail.
4. Inadequate Mobile App testingThe need for Mobile app testing is obvious, but getting adequate coverage, with the plethora of Android versions and devices available in the market it can be a cumbersome task. There are simulators, but software running on a server might not show the same performance limitations.
For instance, one thread of a mobile app might try to read a database at the same time another thread is trying to modify the same database. “It’s a timing mismatch problem,” “If they don’t hit at the exact moment in time, the issue doesn’t surface. It can be overcome with a very simple log statement.” A simulator often will not illustrate the same fundamental performance limitations of a mobile device, so the race condition isn’t apparent.
There are a host of other services that can run pairings of different devices and variations of operating systems and make them available, but that would most likely be more expensive compared to a simulator. Apparently our choice is based on trade-off between budgets and needs. Mobile app testing should be looked at benchmarking against industry standards and user expectations to ensure that the expectations of the developers and users are in sync. Mobile testing should be done on a continuous basis. As a thumb rule one must monitor performance, look for user feedback suggesting problems, and then fix things as soon as possible for the best possible outcome.
5. Ill-timed App Development StrategySans proper strategy, even big Mobile app players in the industry would not have been successful.
App development strategy got to be perfect in all facets:
- • How your app development should be devised?
- • Turnaround time of your design strategy
- • What technology stack to be used in the app development?
- • How much time does it take for successful mobile app testing?
- • When do you plan to launch the app?
All the above points makes a perfect app development strategy. Any minor deviations in any of the above estimations, your app is sure to hit the failure road.
6. Bad UI/UXThis is the biggest reason why most of the mobile apps crash. User interface (UI) is the one of the striking aspects that not only attracts the users, but also keeps them engaged. UI is ideally considered as the first impression of your mobile app. while launching your mobile app, you have your app screenshots prepared to put them on the Stores. And, that is where, your users will take an effort to read the app description below. If your UI seems improper in the screenshots, Eventually that will end up in no downloads resulting in a great failure. Amazing user interface and user experience defines the success of your app and poor UI/UX can fail your app.
Some UX factors that lead to mobile app failures:
- • Low resolution images
- • Poor loading time
- • Broken sign up or login functionality
- • Broken app navigation
- • Irrelevant implementation of micro interactions
- • Tiny or too big fonts
- • Poor connectivity to social profiles
- • No actions on clickable elements
- • Inappropriate spacing between touch points
- • Too much of page scrolling
7. Arbitrary Development ProcessLet’s learn how an arbitrary development process leads to mobile application failure.
- • How to formulate the right designing strategy for the mobile app
- • Which functionality to be developed first?
- • How many hours of dedicated effort to be put in while developing a certain functionality?
- • Which designer/developer to utilize?
- • How to finalize the app designs?
- • How much time is needed for end to end mobile testing?
All the above things need to be followed religiously to make sure your mobile app does not fail.
8. Ignorance of Rigorous mobile testing
While designing and developing a mobile app is considered very important. Mobile app testing is equally important. Mobile app testing is required to check whether your mobile app has any exceptions and bugs or not. A mobile app that is launched without proper testing, fails for sure. There are several types of testing to be executed in order to see your mobile app has no bugs.
- • Each functionality needs to be tested as and when developed
- • With each new developed functionality, don’t forget to check whether the earlier functionality works fine.
- • Mobile testing is required to check whether each and every app integrations are working properly.
- • Usability of your mobile app should to be tested
- • Compatibility testing to be done without fail.
- • Need to check whether the app works at the users’ end before going live
This is not limited to just mobile testing alone. The process after testing is even considered. The differentiating factor here is what measures we take after getting any bugs or exceptions. So, test your apps rigorously to avoid failure.
9. Inept App Launch PlanYou cannot just develop an app and launch it directly on the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. Well, if you do this or if you have done this earlier, you would surely get a big failure hit for your app.
Without letting your target audience know about your app, how are you going to get the downloads?
10. Middling Monetization StrategyDesigning, developing, testing and successfully launching your app does not pay you anything. These are just the investments that you make. How the success of your mobile app is measured? Clearly, with the money coming in, from your app. If your mobile app is not able to make you money, then there are chances that your app has flaws and is at risk of failure. If you have noticed in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store, most of the apps are free and if you are looking to charge your audience, you need to be more careful. So, how will you earn money out of your mobile app? Well, this needs a solid, fool proof monetization strategy to work on.
Mobile apps are a great way of doing business. But, it is equally important to make sure that it does not fail. Because if it fails, it will be beyond revival. So carefully consider the above mentioned reasons why your mobile app can fail. Also, ensure to follow the mobile app tips given along with them to avoid the same.