eLearning Application Testing
Codoid's Elearning application testing services ensure the quality of your interactive e-learning applications, learning & content management system. If a question is asked on what is the critical element of an e-learning software or LMS (Learning management system), then probably it is – the verification of learn-ability of the content.
Content certainly forms a major section that needs to be tested. However, there are several other parameters to be considered along with an excellent know-how of the domain.
With the world coming closer, thanks to latest technologies using Cloud, classrooms have become virtual or online. There is a high demand for such eLearning content and websites to be ‘responsive’, thereby increasing learn-ability.
eLearning Application Testing Strategy
Text, Visuals, & Function
We focus on text, visuals, & functionalities separately instead of testing all the three in one go.
We must have a comprehensive QA checklist to verify Content, Design, Functionality, Assessment Resources, and compliance in place.
OS, Browser, and Devices
Test eLearning applications/courses on multi-platform, browsers, and mobile devices to ensure compatibility.
Let us look at some areas where eLearning software are put to good use
- 1. Universities, Colleges – Online courses
- 2. Corporates – courses on their internal processes, mandatory trainings, etc.
- 3. Training vendors – who now offer specialized online training on the cloud
- 4. Organizations offering professional training /certification
- 5. Businesses – such as Insurance, Automobile for on-the-job training
We have outlined various requirements based on the role of the user. This will provide more insight into what aspects are to be considered by the QA before /while testing an e-learning software.
- 1. Easy navigation, Course calendar
- 2. Free from grammatical and verbal errors
- 3. Easy enrolment, payment
- 4. Simple instructions and learnability
- 5. Advanced search options
- 6. Ability to Forward, Rewind and Pause a course (as need be)
- 7. Ability to access a course from Mobile devices
- 8. Secured learning
- 9. Ability to grade via quiz, retrieve historical details
- 1. Update course structure
- 2. Easy to add new courses, videos, content
- 3. Notifications on new registrations, Errors experienced by end users
- 4. Scheduling virtual /online classroom for remote learning
- 5. Ability to Randomize quiz questions
- 6. Ability to integrate Grades with PeopleSoft or like
- 7. Accurate scoring /grading for quizzes /exams (if any)
- 8. Maintain and retrieve history of exams by a learner
- 9. Re-grade, Test surveys, Discussion forums
- 10. Security mechanism, Content copyright, Multi-language feature
- 11. Any quick self-help /user-guide available to end users
- 1. Generate value for the learner
- 2. Users should have hassle-free experience
- 3. Should be accessible from the slowest connections as well, so as not to hamper the learning cycle
- 4. Easy to scale up with new courses, degrees, across geographies
- 5. Easy and less expensive to maintain
- 6. System to have high uptime and availability
- 7. Generate Value for end users, Learners should come back to the system to register for additional courses
The key metrics (or Challenges on a high level) that drive effective testing of eLearning /LMS are,
- 1.Early defect detection and prevention
- 2.Inclusion of Performance/Load testing
- 3.Improving the learning content frequently and consistently
- 4.Testing Content (what appears and how appealing it is) and Functionality (the logic on when content should be shown)
- 5.Multi-device testing – whether the project needs to run on touch-screen devices, latest browsers like UC, various mobile operating systems like Android, Apple, and Windows. This requires testing on the actual device – which implies the increase in capital expense. Adoption of BYOD (bring your device) has also increased the variety of mobile devices that any eLearning must support
- 6.Stress /Performance test is necessary to ensure the system does not break when learners are actively accessing various content
- 7.Localization: If the course is offered in different languages and time-zones
- 8.Highly responsive eLearning systems require content to change very often or layered for better user experience. Content must be available at the point-of-need and in context of usage
- 9.Synching Video and Audio on multiple devices simultaneously
Allows synchronous testing on web and mobile. You can wirelessly pair multiple devices running on iOS, Blackberry, Windows and Android to a computer and carry out synchronous testing.
If multi-device testing is critical, you may try Elucidat (www.elucidat.com) where you can test what your training looks like on different screen sizes.
A cloud based simulator that is useful for checking text alignment on device-OS-browser combination and catching visual issues.
Though simulators can help correct alignment mismatches, it cannot check the actual learner experience.
Testing nowadays is looked beyond just performing quality checks. Organizations who plan to purchase LMS software seek assistance from QA /testers with good knowledge on LMS /eLearning domain to help them evaluate and shortlist products to purchase.
Codoid looks forward to partner with you in your IT journey. We have the right skills to augment your requirement and ensure benefits are seen early on.
The experts at Codoid will, collaborate with the development teams from the requirements phase and help you outline the checklist to test LMS. We always believe that ELearning Application Testing does not happen in a silo, but goes hand-in-hand with development.